Owww My ears!!!

on Saturday, November 22, 2008

Ok, so here is another one you can check off on your "seriously?!?!!?!? Seriously!!!!???" list....

So im at work.... a banker comes to me all frazzled and lets me know a customer demands to speak to the manager. I said sure, is everything ok? she takes a deep breath and replies "you arent going to believe this one..." and promptly turns and walks away. I follow to her desk. There is a woman sitting there obvously upset. I introduce myself and my position and ask if i could be of assistance. She proceeds to barade me with all the reasons why she is a valuable asset to our company...how long she has been with us, how much money she has, etc etc... (people always tend to do this like it gives them much clout...FYI i really doesnt....) Now, recognize at this point she has been talking to me for several minutes and still hasnt even mentioned a problem....So, cut to the chase... she tells me "I have been here for XX years and i have never been so frustrated!" I said, "Well, I apologize for your frustrations...but what exactly is it i can help you with??" here comes the good part.... "The TV in the lobby is entirely too loud!!" ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!??!!?!?!?!?!? I didnt know whether to laugh, roll my eyes or what. I flat out told her "Ma'am there is no need to let something so simple ruin your day this is not really even an issue. That was the wrong thing to say. Rule of management number 451258.154-A NEVER belittle the customer, no matter how lame they are. She then demands that i mute the tv and put it on closed caption. I tell her that i would be more than willing to turn it down, but i wasnt going to promise that i would mute it and close caption it. (we need some kind of noise in the lobby to distract the customers from waiting....) She then goes off on how 15 years ago there was a law passed that all tvs must have a closed caption feature. I didnt deny such a claim but i did inform her that i just didnt know where the remote for the tv was, so its probably not going to happen (a white lie i know, but really...this is a waste of time...) She stood up and proceeded to mumble the "never in my life blah blah blah...." as she stormed out of the branch. That was 10 minutes of my life that i will never get back....sigh.....

2 comments:

Jewel said...

Teehee...wow, can you imagine how bad her day would be if you were to have had the overhead Muzak station playing loudly, too? She probably would have had a stroke or something! :)

Heather said...

Um, I seriously can't believe that you would not only be so insensitive and rude to a little old lady who had an obvious problem, but that you would publicly mock her on the web. Shame on you, Steve. Shame.

Ok, who am I kidding? That is freaking funny. :)